This is our second and current project and we are almost ready for publication! In this series of eight books, we will take you along the coast of Koʻolauloa (Kaʻaʻawa to Waimea) and share a few of the legends of this place. Presales for this series are currently open and purchases can be made in our store. If you have any questions or need help with your order, please contact us. Mahalo!
Native Hawaiian Photographers
For this project, we enlisted the help and talents of eight Hawaiian photographers, each tasked with the challenge of bringing one of the legends of Koʻolauloa to life. Our hui of skilled photographes included Kuʻulei Tano, Jolene Kanahele, Kaila Key, Coreen Willams, Tatiana Paneʻe, Kamalani Wright and mentor Mark Holladay Lee, Kaniela Kalama, and Spencer Kamauoha.
Native Hawaiian Models
For the re-enactment of the stories, we are searching for roughly 150+ Native Hawaiian models to pose for the many scenes of each book. Models may be in 1 or more books. We will provide all the costuming and make-up, as well as let all models know the location. In the past, we have been able to complete all photos for the books in 1-2 days, usually scheduling the photo shoots early Saturday mornings. Models can be of any age. In most cases models must cover up any tattoos they may have. Models must also sign a release form for the use of their images.
There were so many community members needed to make our first project come to life. If you have any of the following skills and would like to support this project, please let us know! Your kokua is greatly appreciated!
- Professional Make-up artists
- Seamstresses (for sewing malos, pa'u's, etc.)
- Fisherman (who may lend us your fishnets - and maybe even fish - for the photo shoot)
- Canoe clubs (who may lend us use of your canoes and paddles)
- Hula Halau (who may lend us costumes, ipu and other implements, fake foilage, etc.)
- Artifact collectors (who may lend us your Hawaiian weapons, tools, water gourds, feather lei, etc.)
- Caterers (who might be able to provide snacks or drinks for the photographers and models during the photo shoots)
- And any other ideas you might have of how you could support us. Thank you so much!